Friday, January 2, 2009

Syed Kamran Mirza: farewell to Islam

Dr. Syed Kamran Mirza, the author of Roots of Islamic Terrorism and co-author of Beyond Jihad and Leaving Islam-Apostates Speak Out explains on FrontPage Magazine why he left Islam. The process is interesting reading. Here the complete interview on FP.

Mirza: I was born in a traditional Muslim family of Bangladesh. My parents were devout Muslims and their mother tongue was Bengali. In my early childhood days, I was attending religious education every morning (6-8 am) in the Maktab (religious school in the Mosque) before I went to primary school of general education at 10 AM. There in the Maktab I learned all those Suras/rules/methods required to observe five time prayers, and also learned reading the Qur’an in Arabic. However, I never understood the meaning of any word of the Qur’an or Suras, which used to bother me very much.

No comments: